Digital Detox Day

 

Digital detox. A day on which you abstain from any digital media and technology-related activity to clear your mind and lessen your screen-time. For this activity, I managed to go a whole 24 hours without my phone and various other electronics. My initial thoughts were, "this won't be too difficult". I was half-right and half-wrong. As soon as I woke up that morning, I already realized I had picked up my phone and was about to put in my security code to check social media. I never took myself as someone to be "obsessed" with social media (Instagram, Twitter, etc), as I am not an avid poster, but more of a lurker. After that realization, I mentally prepared myself for the rest of the day. Honestly, it was a lot easier from there on out. After I made breakfast and drank coffee, I was a little lost on what to do. Usually, if I went out of the house I would check Google Maps for bus times, check the weather, or message a friend to meet up. Thankfully, it was a rainy day, and I like to read, so I dedicated most of my day reading books that I have put off for too long. The day also allowed me to give myself some self-care that has also been put off. I utilized every single face mask I owned, took a long bath, did my nails, practised some yoga, and sketched/made art. This all sounds lovely (which it was), however, by nighttime, I was bored. I'm not going to lie. I wanted to watch a movie, or play video games with friends online, and check my email... anything. In all, it made me realize it's good to set boundaries and be aware of how much screen time you have. I had lots of time for hobbies that I had been putting off for years, and I felt very creative, however, I still craved the online presence and entertainment it gave me. 

Comments

Popular Posts